Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homemade Turkey Soup

If there is one meal my family all likes it is my homemade turkey soup. OK, T picks the carrots out but that boy is impossible to please! He would live on cheese and cereal if I let him. I think I can only recall 1 time where I did not use the leftover turkey for soup. I take all the meat off the bones and put the bones in a pot along with the skin. I cover it with water, a little bit more water than bones, and I add fresh chopped garlic & spices and let it simmer for a good 3 hours or more. I check on it every once in a while and give it a stir and a sniff :) Then answer "turkey soup" to everyone who comes in the house and asks "Mmmm, what's that smell?" After 3 hours or so I strain all the bones out of the soup, turn off the stove and let it cool down. Then I put the entire pot into the fridge. The next day (yes, my soup is a 2 day process) I scrape the fat off the top of the soup, put it back on the stove and heat it up. Then I add all kinds of yummy healthy stuff like chopped turkey meat, carrots, celery and egg noodles. Although this time I used potatoes instead because I had no egg noodles. Then I add the only non-natural ingredient in my soup; chicken OXO or Bovril. Cook all that good stuff up and pop some biscuits in the oven and dinner is done! I must have been so excited to eat the soup because I foprgot to take a pic of it when it was done. Either that or I was too tired after being in the kitchen all day baking and cooking!

No comments: